Joseph R. Ashby
Joseph R. Ashby focuses on class action defense, trade secret litigation, commercial litigation, and partnership and startup disputes. He has represented numerous Fortune 500 companies in state and federal courts throughout the country.
Joseph started his legal career as a law clerk for the Honorable Robert Holmes Bell in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan. After that Joseph was an attorney with the premier business litigation firm—Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan LLP—for more than eight years.
Select Representative Matters
- Represented an automobile manufacturer in Multi-District Litigation involving allegations of consumer fraud. The matter resolved through a nationwide class settlement that was based on the customer reimbursement program the manufacturer had voluntarily initiated.
- Represented a major packaged food company against antitrust claims alleging it had conspired with grocery stores to exclude competition in the claimed market for “better for you” ice cream. The court granted summary judgment in favor of the packaged food company on the plaintiff’s antitrust claim.
- Represented a leading printer manufacturer in a nationwide class action alleging that it misrepresented, or failed to disclose, the rate at which certain inkjet printers consumed ink. The court granted summary judgment in favor of the printer manufacturer on the claim that it failed to disclose ink consumption information, and denied class certification on the affirmative misrepresentation claims.
- Represented a prominent retailer in a class action alleging it violated the Labor Code, by failing to provide meal and rest breaks, and failing to pay overtime. The court denied class certification in entirety.
- Represented an independent insurance brokerage in a trade secret misappropriation lawsuit that was filed by one of the largest insurance brokerages in the U.S. After the court granted a motion to dismiss four of the five claims, including the trade secret claims, the matter settled confidentially.
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2006) Michigan Law Review, Associate Editor
- Arizona State University (B.A., Economics and Sociology, summa cum laude, 2002) Phi Beta Kappa
- State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals:
- Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts:
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Western District of Michigan
- Member, California Lawyers Association (Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section, Litigation Section, and Intellectual Property Law Section)
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers